Blog

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Featherweight to the Rescue!

The other title to this story could be The Shame of the Computerized Machine. But I like a rescue better. So what happened?

I was working hard on a mini bow tuck bag for my mom. My wonderfully wonderful computerized machine decided it was tired and didn’t want to sew through all those layers of handles and triple and quadruple batting and fabric. She’s done it before – we’ve made several mini bow tucks and several full size bow tucks with no issues. I guess she was just not feeling up to the tasks.

After much debate about how the heck was I going to finish this purse and changing to every type of needle and thread I have, I was about to give up when the light bulb went off. One of my sister-in-law’s had given – yes I said GIVEN – and we’ve been doing really well getting acquainted.

And it’s a 100 year anniversary machine!

I’ve been working on a Bonnie Hunter for my first quilt on it. Fitting, don’t you think? Anyway, I grab Petunia May and shoved Big Bertha to the back and Petunia said “This isn’t a challenge!” and zipped right through it.

While I let out a heavy sigh of relief, I ran out of bobbin thread – of course. Last 4 inches of sewing and I need to wind a new bobbin. Okay! Easy enough. When I pulled the bobbin out, there’s another color of thread on the bobbin. I had been sewing with black. Now there is gray.

Okay – let’s just get the seam ripper out and get all of this off the bobbin. There was red and white and more black and tan and more red and green! I was laughing! The green must have been no more than 12 inches and was the last color on the bobbin. Wonder why the previous owner didn’t just take it off? Probably was just too intent on sewing and just wound what she needed.

To end on a good note, Big Bertha did work wonderfully on two little purses for my niece and grandniece. This pattern is Ruby’s Party Bag from Moda Bake Shop. Cute little purses!

Happy quilting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment